Thursday 1 May 2014

Bird of Freedom

Bird of Freedom
Writer: Salwa Farah

What a torrential snow storm!! I am looking at it from my window … it is a strange one! as if God has driven all the snow of the world into Canada.  Heavy silence …cold calmness… You can hardly see any thing except the crazy snow falling here and there without mercy or compassion causing the branches of tree to bend down submissively having no other choice. Suddenly I saw a bird sitting on the trunk of a tree trembling and shaking with a look of fear and confusion on his face. So I asked myself ‘what destinies that threw this bird into this place?  Where are the members of his families? What is he looking for? I after all realized that he is in need for love and attention but it seems no body cares! human hearts have turned into solid rocks… he is looking for compassion but all windows are closed in his face! human beings are in deep or even eternal sleep. What this bird can do in a land where human sentiments are buried under heavy snow and their feelings have turned into ice. His eyes became wet with tears but those tears wouldn’t leave his eyes struggling to say, “I am the bird of love but it is painful to live with your most dear relatives and miss their love. This is the real estrangement…to feel unwelcomed by your beloved ones and find no reason for this alienation!! I may have many brothers and the nest is too small to allow place for all; or because it was built on sand and that caused love to fade away hear and there so I decide to leave”.

“I am the bird of freedom but it is more painful to live in the lab of your homeland and family yet you can’t express yourself or raise an objection!  This is the real estrangement… suppression of thoughts and discord with the others… all are behaving like sheep but I am flying high in the sky … they hurt my freedom mercilessly so I decided to leave  as there is no homeland without freedom”.

From the struggling tears of this bird and his bewildered trembling I could discern the meaning of freedom…it is an internal vacuum that is hard to fill except with love and freedom and I being unable to find a homeland neither in the east nor in the west and hindered by the clouds of backwardness that obscure love and freedom in the east. How then would my soul soar around without a homeland?? While in the west the frigid weather kills love and conceals the stars in the sky and my soul cannot soar around except in skies with twinkling star.
____________________Canda-tender.breeze@hotmail.com



0 comments:

Post a Comment